The University Archives at Eastern Michigan University is seeking to hire a part time processing Archivist on a contractual basis to arrange, preserve and describe a backlog of approximately 1800 Edison Cylinder
reels and a collection of Motown music recordings and print materials.
The position includes but is not limited to:
– Appraisal and evaluation of the historical and research value of each collection.
– Determining the arrangement and description of the collections based on standard practices such as Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS).
– Performing basic preservation on the collections where necessary.
– Reorganizing the collections for an acid-free environment.
– Creating Encoded Archival Description (EAD) records for publication
– Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Graduate degree in archives management, history or a related discipline. Familiarity with EAD, MARC, LCSH and other cataloging standards. Familiarity with library information management systems. Knowledge of basic preservation and conservation standards for
archival and manuscript collections. A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail. Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a production-oriented, team environment. Ability to work quickly, efficiently, and meet project goals and deadlines.
Preferred: Strong background in music or sound recordings, preferably in a library-oriented environment. Knowledge about and experience with the preservation issues handling archival sound recordings. Experience
arranging and describing archival collections in a historical or academic repository, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
For further information, please contact Professor Rachel Cheng, Interim University Archivist, Eastern Michigan University, firstname.lastname@example.org.