Under the direct supervision of the Library Director, the Archivist will assume responsibility for the physical area of the Local History Room, as well as access to the collection, local history, and genealogy reference. Promoting local history in the community is a function of this job.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
• Propose and implement policies and procedures for the Local History Room based on the needs of the community, standard archival procedures and within the constraints of the Library’s resources.
• Train and supervise volunteer and student assistants.
• Process, store and conserve materials according to standard archival procedures.
• Plan and execute programs of interest to the community.
• Build local history collections within the scope of the collection and constraints of the Library’s resources
• Perform related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications include:
• Certificate in archival administration or equivalent is preferred.
• Prior community involvement and knowledge of Albion area history is preferred.
• Knowledge of standard archival procedures.
• Ability to speak to groups.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule with minimum supervision.
• Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with the public and other employees.
• Ability to supervise volunteers and work study students.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and carry them out independently.
• Ability to set and accomplish goals.
The above is intended to describe the major responsibilities and requirements for this position.
It is not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
To apply, please submit a completed employment application form with optional cover letter and resume to:
Albion District Library
501 S Superior St
Albion, MI 49224
517 629 3993