The Grosse Pointe Historical Society has an opening for one paid intern to work from August – December 2017. The intern will work as part of a team digitizing components of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society archival and historical collections and a recent acquisition of archival materials from the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The position would be considered a part-time short-term employee—w-2 (no benefits) with salary commensurate with experience.
Duties will range from inventorying, moving, categorizing, and digitizing as part of developing a comprehensive database of collections and artifacts that will become accessible to the public via our website. The Intern will also research and write for the database and on-line website catalog. The intern will report to Isabelle Donnelly (Director of Education and Collections Manager) and will also work with several technology contractors. Grosse Pointe Historical Society has a small staff so interns will be exposed to many different aspects of the workings of a local historical society in addition to collections management and digitization.
Specifically, the intern will assist in the preparation of documents and artifacts for digitization–including scanning, photographing, book scanning, image manipulation, file re-naming and organization; data entry of archival and object records on Past Perfect 5.0; archive files, including surveying, organizing and archiving files; research objects and archival materials pertaining to donors, loans and object records as they arise; train in object and archival document handling and the creation of condition reports; and participate in ongoing collection digitization projects including the digitization of the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Assist with the building and organization of collection files, provenance research, and the organization of collection image files
- Compile and update information for archival materials and objects
- Prepare content for archival and other objects entering the collection
- Input images and relevant information within database
- Ability to work with Past Perfect 5.0 Collections software
- History, museum studies, information studies, or comparable B.A. with Masters or PhD level work in progress
- Knowledge of museum collection ethics and collections and archival document care
- Familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential
- Cataloguing and database experience (Adobe Elements, Photoshop, and Past Perfect) is preferred
- Ability to work with digital cameras—specifically Nikon and Epson scanners
- Individual should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, must be organized, flexible, detail oriented, and able to work independently and collaboratively on multiple projects at once multi task on various projects at the same time
About Grosse Pointe Historical Society:
The Grosse Pointe Historical Society was organized in 1945 to promote the preservation of our local heritage and to share that knowledge with the community. The Society’s logo represents the 18th century French windmill which stood on Windmill Pointe. The Society works to make the history of our exceptional community vital, relevant, and accessible. Through our programs, facilities, and events, we bring history to life and protect historic artifacts so that we all can experience the past first hand. The intern will work at the Alfred B. and Ruth S. Moran Resource Center located at 381 Kercheval Avenue – Suite 2, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.
Contact Isabelle Donnelly for additional information and/or to apply. email@example.com Or 313.884.7010.
Posted on behalf of:
Grosse Pointe Historical Society
381 Kercheval Ave.
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236